Tuesday 27 July 2010

Comedy love

Hurahh, once again the Edinburgh Fringe is almost upon us. What better way for me to celebrate than to write a blog about comedy.

Ah, yes, comedy. It can make you laugh, it can make you cry, or just rightly, it can make you want to slit your wrists (metaphorically speaking.) Without comedy, be it stand up, sitcom or TV quiz shows, we wouldn’t have an output for those who say it out it is. Take Mock the Week for example. Frankie Boyle was possibly the funniest, yet most crude member of the show. He said things that most people in their right mind would come out with in the street. But people like that remind us of how real we all are, and that we’re not the only ones who get pissed off with the daily subjects in the world. I often have negative thoughts about daily musings, but am often to afraid to talk about them in the case of offending someone. Not a great start for someone who writes and performs as a hobby. I once told a joke about Maddie Mccann and got booed for it. This really put me off having anything to do with comedy for such a long time, but I got over it and thanks to my comedy heroes I am now over that little blip and feel quite passionate about every subject I write about, even if I am likely to offend someone. How can you be diplomatic when all the best comedy comes from negative and emotional experiences?

As for using the hero to talk about those performers that I admire, well, they are, and I am proud to say that comedy has (be prepared to squirm) saved my life. Ok, maybe saying saved it a little over the top, but it has got me through some difficult times, and if any comic performer says otherwise they are lying. The reason they got in to the art in the first place is because it gave them a reason to live and be someone. No one would chose o go in this career direction unless they were obsessed and love it. One comedian who I have seen perform said that people who said this about comedy were idiots (I don’t like to use the word that he did) and as someone who admired this person, I was worried about what he said. I took it to heart; I am only human after all. But now I have grown up to appreciate that others are entitled to their opinion, and just because they are technically in the business doesn’t mean they are right. It was a personal statement that I was silly enough to question, even though deep down I knew my opinion and should have trusted it. Thanks goodness we all grow up and can separate the truth from facts!

I won’t be going to the festival this year, mainly due to a lack of funding and trying to save for my Masters Degree, but I will be looking out for and hot gossip and controversial musings from afar. I’m hoping the Free Fringe will be as successful as usual and that people will be willing to try out the smaller venues as well as the larger ones. Some of the best up and coming comics perform there. Also if you’re in the Stand at any point, have a drink for me. Cheers.

Sarah Marie Love

2 comments:

kwame said...

Hello Miss Love,

My name is Timothy Armoo I am 18 and I am running a project called Doodlar which is using design to raise funding and awareness for charitable causes. Could I please have an email address to contact you through as I would like to work together on an upcoming campaign to raise awareness and funding for children born with cleft palate?
Thanks.

kwame said...

Hello Miss Love,

My name is Timothy Armoo I am 18 and I am running a project called Doodlar which is using design to raise funding and awareness for charitable causes. Could I please have an email address to contact you through as I would like to work together on an upcoming campaign to raise awareness and funding for children born with cleft palate?
Thanks.